Meet the engineers!
GCSE’s and A’Levels in Stoke-on-Trent before going onto Warwick Uni and then UWE (Bristol) this last year
Degree in Philosophy & Politics (bit unrelated!!) and more recently Postgrad in River & Coastal Engineering. I want to do a Masters soon called Infrastructure in Emergencies.
Started with a paper round then Morrisons, Makro, an underwear shop, IBM, Thomson Holidays, and finally Environment Agency
Can't believe I was evicted!
Me and my work
Building things on the River Thames
I work as a River Engineer from our construction yard in Oxford. Out of my window I can see cranes, huge barges, the river, huge piles of timber and sand.
I work on anything to do with rivers and flooding, such as dredging rivers, building new bridges, working on river locks and weirs, building flood defence schemes. The more variety the better.
I work for the Environment Agency so I also try to be green with everything I do! (Hard to do sometimes)
My Typical Day
Seeing the sun rise from a boat, then into the office to work on a design then visiting a site to oversee construction
The area I work in covers most of the River Thames from its source in Gloucestershire down to Teddington in London – where it becomes a tidal river.
I travel around to view construction as it happens and also spend time on patrol boats surveying the river.
I also have to work a lot in the office (unfortunately!).
What I'd do with the money
Build new water supplies for villages in Nicaragua
Last year I spend 3 months working in Costa Rica and Nicaragua for Raleigh International. This is an amazing part of the world full of rainforests, volcanoes and all kinds of wildlife I’d never seen before.
I worked on bringing water supplies to people who had very little in their homes (no electricity, water, gas, phone or anything like that). The work I did, meant they could have shared taps in their village.
I’d give the money to the people I worked with out there so they can build more taps in more villages, so people can have fresh clean water for the first time.
How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Flood Mad Footballer
Who is your favourite singer or band?
What is the most fun thing you've done?
Climbed a live and smoking volcano in Costa Rica
What was your favourite subject at school?
What did you want to be after you left school?
Hadn’t got a clue!
Were you ever in trouble in at school?
Just trouble with girls usually
What's the best thing you've done as an engineer?
Designed and built a system to bring water supplies into a rainforest in Costa Rica
Tell us a joke.
What did the number 0 say to the number 8? Nice belt.
My Answered Questions
- Is there anywhere else you would like to go to and help in the way you did in Costa Rica? Why?
- Do you have any middle names?
- Roughly many people would benefit from the project you will fund if you win?
- How long does it take to design something? What steps do you have to take in order to produce it?
- Do you ever have to work to deadlines?
- Why have you decided to take an “Infrastructure in Emergencies” Masters, and what does it involve?
- You said that one of your top three aims in life was to own a grand piano. Why?
- How many rivers run under london that you have worked with?
- You mentioned that your work is geography related- did you do geography at GCSE/ A level? Was it useful?
- When you were in Costa Rica and Nicaragua did you make friends with any of the villagers? If you did do you think this